Sunday, 9 June 2013

Something old into something 'new'

Well it's been well over a year since my last blog! I have been doing creative things, but with working part-time + looking after a now 18month old, there isn't a lot of time to sit and write for a blog!

Here is a little something that I did a few months ago..
We are renovating our kitchen/dining area. We have knocked out a wall to open up the space, so I thought I may as well revamp the table and chairs while we were in the throws of making mess!. We are yet to get the floors redone, just waiting to knock out another small section of wall, so will post on this once the floor is completed.

THEN: (These are pics just after I had sanded it all down unfortunately)
My husband has had the table & chairs for years. Originally they were varnished wood with green and red tartan fabric on the cushions. Eww. So after we married, we recovered the chairs in an old duck egg blue woollen blanket fabric. Still with the wooden varnish + lots of hot pot/drink stains.. this lasted us a few years & kinda looked ok.

Freshened up with a lick of white semi-gloss enamel paint for the table top + chairs, and a Karen Walker Duck Eggs Blue semi-gloss enamel for the table legs (I saw this on a design blog and loved the look). The cushion covers are old curtains I found from a Christchurch vintage store for $60. I had planned on using them for our babies room, but we had a boy.. so instead I've cut them up and thought I might as well make the most of the fabric. Much better I think :)

Wednesday, 16 May 2012


Even though they are misshapen and slightly flat, these are delish! Yummy toasted with a little butter and jam. Bit of a process to make them though, mixing, kneading, waiting to rise, shaping, boiling, cooking. Worth it  though, so satisying to make homemade :)

O is for Owl

For a friends Kitchen Tea party she showed us a few tips for decorating cupcakes using fondant icing, so much fun! So in-between attending to the little man, I managed to whip up a batch of vanilla cupcakes then had fun making owls and roses with fondant. I'm keen to try decorating a whole cake with it next.

Tuesday, 15 May 2012

The quilt is made..

Finally I've had the chance to finish my quilt.. it was so much harder to make than I thought! Now I've got a new appreciation for the amazing quilts my mum has made. All was going well until it came time to sew all the layers together.. it all bunched up and when a bit out of proportion. Think I needed a walking foot on my machine or maybe more patience?
Anyway... I found the main animal print drill fabric from Spotlight and fell in love with it, I was going to make cushions with it for my babies room but decided I'd like to try my hand at quilting instead. The animals on the corners are hand embroidered (I found out how to do french knots and they are my favourite!), the letters have been cut out of felt, and ironed on with adhesive backing then stitched onto the white drill. I'm not super happy with the trim.. originally I'd hoped to use the base grey fabric and turn it over to bind the edges, but after sewing it all together there wasn't enough to do that. In my eager beaver way, instead of waiting to go and buy more fabric, I made do with the same fabric as the centre. So I think it looks quite busy.
Anyway, quilt number 1 is made, yay. Number 2 is already on the horizon...

Delicious drill fabric from Spotlight.. I got the last of the roll!
Fabric for the main part all cut (precisely!)

Letters cut from felt and ironed onto fabric with isofix
Getting there...

Top part all done, dacron + backing  added, now ready to sew
Embroidered animals, the fun part
Quilting around the animals

Ollie's first quilt
O is for Owl

The finished product!

Little man enjoying his new play mat

Thursday, 19 April 2012


It's been a while... life is now consumed with my bundle of joy!
I have managed to get a few crafty things made though, the most enjoyable being an octopus outfit for my sister in laws dress-up party, OJ looked so adorable, even if he only wore it for 10mins it was still worth making it. Then there is his little kerchief which will be handy for catching the dribbles. Another project was the 'home' ribbon cushion. A little tricky to make the letters flow, but came up well I think. Few more projects on the go preparing for our 6th Fraft market! and a new quilt I'm making for the little man. Will keep you posted...

Monday, 14 November 2011

If it's a boy...

The same pattern as the little ladies diapers below, just minus the ruffles.
And the headband won't do for a boy, so I've hand stitched this tie to the front of a top to complete the set..

Sunday, 13 November 2011

It's wedding season

My little sister just got engaged!
We had a perfect picnic in the park with the sun shining & lots of treats.
Now for the wedding...